Are people receiving fake U.S. Treasury checks? The answer is, yes. Here are 6 ways to verify your refund check.
- Treasury Seal: It should say “Bureau of the Fiscal Service.”
- Bleeding Ink: When moisture is applied to the black seal to the right of the Statue of Liberty, it will "run" and turn red.
- Watermark: All U.S. Treasury checks are printed on watermark paper. The watermark reads “U.S. TREASURY,” and is seen from both front and back when held up to a light source.
- Ultraviolet Overprinting:https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/ (opens new window).
- Microprinting: Is located on the back of the check with the words “USAUSAUSA.”
Economic Impact Payment
- Taxpayers should note that the form of payment for the second and third mailed EIP may be different than the first mailed EIP. Some people who received a paper check last time might receive a prepaid debit card this time, and some people who received a prepaid debit card last time may receive a paper check.